Backup / restore in hosted server

Hi,
Explored some stuff and I found that there is a backup/restore procedure for docker container. Is there a way to take backup for hosted server anywhere? In ZAC or via CLI?
Thank you

Hi @kashif,

To backup your OpenZiti network you should:

• backup the database by running this CLI command: ziti edge db snapshot. If you used the quickstart that will put a file into $ZITI_HOME/db/ namded ctrl.db-*. Or, look at the controller's config file and find the db: setting. The backup is placed next to that file and has the current time appended in YYYYMMDD-hhmmss format. Example: ctrl.db-20230828-114750
  • backup the PKI for the controller. If you ran the quickstart this will be $ZITI_HOME/pki. Backup the full folder. If not, you probably understand how to back your whole pki up. :slight_smile:
  • backup the controller config file at $ZITI_HOME

Thank you again.

In the controller folder ($ZITI_HOME | /root/.ziti/quickstart/openziti) you mean to take backup just yaml file or to take whole folder as a backup?

And restore procedure please.

I'd tell you to take JUST the $ZITI_HOME/pki folder, the controller's configuration file (If using "the host it anywhere" quickstart it'd be named: $ZITI_HOME/$ZITI_NETWORK.yaml) and the db snapshot. Oh and actually, you might want to also backup the systemd file at /etc/systemd/system/ziti-controller.service

We don't have this whole process documented at this time and I will admit that I have not tested this myself yet but here's the process that you should be able to use to restore:

• put back systemd unit file /etc/systemd/system/ziti-controller.service
  • put back yaml file at $ZITI_HOME/$ZITI_NETWORK.yaml
  • put pki directory back into $ZITI_HOME/pki
  • put db back into $ZITI_HOME/db/ctrl.db (notice I renamed it, without the timestamp)
  • enable the systemd unit file: sudo systemctl enable --now ziti-controller
1 Like

Thank you for your kind help.
Will try it out soon.