How to troubleshoot a recalcitrant tunneler

I keep peeling back the layers and finding something new I can break. Now I have a bunch of identities I have created, downloaded the jwts and they have at least handshakes enough with the controller to get an identity json. But, the tunneler device won’t start.

Here is my error.

root@linux:~# ziti-edge-tunnel run -i /opt/openziti/etc/identities/linux.jptech.ziti.json
(536)[        0.000]    INFO ziti-sdk:utils.c:188 ziti_log_set_level() set log level: root=3/INFO
(536)[        0.000]   ERROR ziti-edge-tunnel:ziti-edge-tunnel.c:1542 run_tunnel() failed to open network interface: open /dev/net/tun failed
About to run tunnel service... ziti-edge-tunnelroot@linux:~#

I am running these in LXC containers, debian12.

My creation script contains the following identities. The falkor one is a dest machine with MacOS, so I am using the ziti desktop app and it has enrolled fine and I can ping 100.64.0.2.

ziti edge create identity device linux.jptech.ziti --role-attributes jptech.ssh.server,jptech.admin -o linux.jptech.ziti.jwt
ziti edge create identity device mac1.jptech.ziti --role-attributes jptech.admin -o mac1.jptech.ziti.jwt
ziti edge create identity device mac2.jptech.ziti --role-attributes jptech.ssh.server -o mac2.jptech.ziti.jwt
ziti edge create identity device win.jptech.ziti --role-attributes jptech.ssh.server -o win.jptech.ziti.jwt
ziti edge create identity device falkor.jptech.ziti --role-attributes jptech.ssh.server,jptech.admin -o falkor.jptech.ziti.jwt
ziti edge create identity device macbian.jptech.ziti --role-attributes jptech.ssh.server,jptech.admin -o macbian.jptech.ziti.jwt

If anyone finds this, it was an LXC problem, specifically in proxmox. Here is the article that addresses it since it will be directly affected in OpenZiti: OpenVPN in LXC - Proxmox VE

1 Like

Oh, good to know. I don’t think I had to do that before running ziti-edge-tunnel in lxd on my Ubuntu workstation. It might be something that’s always needed for the original lxc but not Canonical’s lxc/lxd flavored containers.

1 Like

Linux Tunnel Troubleshooting tips:

1. Is Ziti’s tun interface UP?
    ❯ ip link sh up tun0
    19: tun0: <POINTOPOINT,MULTICAST,NOARP,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc fq_codel state 
    UNKNOWN mode DEFAULT group default qlen 500
        link/none 

2. What is Ziti’s nameserver IP?
    ❯ resolvectl --interface=tun0 dns   
    Link 19 (tun0): 100.64.0.2

3. Is my Ziti service working?
    ❯ dig +noall +answer ssh.ziti.service.example.com @100.64.0.2
    my.ziti.service.example.com. 60 IN    A       100.64.0.3

❯ ncat 100.64.0.3 22 </dev/null 
    SSH-2.0-OpenSSH_7.4

Be careful with ping when testing Ziti services because the transports are TCP or UDP, not ICMP. It’s still useful, as you found, for probing the local tun interface address.

I’ve proposed adding these to Troubleshooting | OpenZiti in this pull request (preview).

1 Like