Ziti tunnel on K8S: Adding jwt via k8s secrets is throwing error

Hi Team,
I was following steps as mentioned in Kubernetes Sidecar Client | Ziti.

While adding jwt via k8s secrets, it complained like,
x509: certificate signed by unknown authority (possibly because of “crypto/rsa: verification error” while trying to verify candidate authority certificate “kubernetes”)

It showed something like this

root@ubuntu:/home/ubuntu# kubectl create secret generic Docker-Ziti-Tunnel-Test.jwt --from-file=/home/ubuntu/DockerVolumes/NetFoundry/Docker-Ziti-Tunnel-Test/Docker-Ziti-Tunnel-Test.jwt
error: failed to create secret Post “https://192.168.3.4:6443/api/v1/namespaces/default/secrets?fieldManager=kubectl-create”: x509: certificate signed by unknown authority (possibly because of “crypto/rsa: verification error” while trying to verify candidate authority certificate “kubernetes”)
root@ubuntu:/home/ubuntu#

I am running it on
K8S:
root@ubuntu:/home/ubuntu# kubeadm version
kubeadm version: &version.Info{Major:“1”, Minor:“21”, GitVersion:“v1.21.2”, GitCommit:“092fbfbf53427de67cac1e9fa54aaa09a28371d7”, GitTreeState:“clean”, BuildDate:“2021-06-16T12:57:56Z”, GoVersion:“go1.16.5”, Compiler:“gc”, Platform:“linux/amd64”}

I have already created the endpoint via NF console in the network.

I didn’t get any documentation in NF site or topic in https://openziti.discourse.group/.
Please help with the solution.

Thanks
Sameer

Hi Sameer,
The unknown authority error seems to indicate that your selected kubeconfig context lacks a cluster definition for the Kubernetes API. Are you able to run any kubectl command at all? For example:

kubectl get secrets

You may inspect the kubeconfig with this command.

kubectl config view

You may find that the CA’s certificate is known by a filepath or encoded inline in kubeconfig file. Either way, the CA certificate data must be the issuer of the server certificate of the k8s API at https://192.168.3.4:6443/.

Hi,
You were correct, I didn’t set KUBECONFIG path. Once set the command executed. But it still threw error like below

root@ubuntu:/home/ubuntu# kubectl create secret generic Docker-Ziti-Tunnel-Test.jwt --from-file=/home/ubuntu/DockerVolumes/NetFoundry/Docker-Ziti-Tunnel-Test/Docker-Ziti-Tunnel-Test.jwt
error: failed to create secret Secret “Docker-Ziti-Tunnel-Test.jwt” is invalid: metadata.name: Invalid value: “Docker-Ziti-Tunnel-Test.jwt”: a lowercase RFC 1123 subdomain must consist of lower case alphanumeric characters, ‘-’ or ‘.’, and must start and end with an alphanumeric character (e.g. ‘example.com’, regex used for validation is ‘a-z0-9?(.a-z0-9?)*’)
root@ubuntu:/home/ubuntu/K8S/#

Did i miss anything here ?

~Sameer

Sameer,
The syntax of the command is a bit awkward. The value of the --from-file parameter has two parts separated by a = character:

1. the key name under which to store the secret data
  2. the file from which to obtain the secret data

In this case the Kubernetes secret and the key name are both “tunnel-sidecar.jwt”. This key name allows the mounted secret to appear as the expected filename in the container.

kubectl create secret generic tunnel-sidecar.jwt --from-file tunnel-sidecar.jwt=${PWD}/Linux1.jwt

Hi Ken,
I was able to execute the script by changing the name of the secret key to tunnel-sidecar.jwt. Also ziti tunnel on side car is working fine. Test client was able to access the service i configured over NF.

Thanks
Sameer

1 Like