How does Ziti handle multiples ISP?

Recently I was able to contract another ISP for my internet access. I put it as a backup as I haven’t been able to find a reliable ISP in my country. Anyways, with that in mind I started thinking if ziti is capable os handle this use cases:

1. For remote assets access. My workstation is behind two possible ISP. If I configure a loadbalancing with the ISP. Is it possible to maintain persistance in my ziti connection? will my connection needs to be sticky? or can be on RR?

2. What about putting a Edge Router on premises where I do have 2 ISP’s. If I balance those… same question? What happens if I’m connected via “ssh” to one service behing that router. And one of the ISP’s goes down? Will my clients be dropped while a new connection is stablished using the other ISP?

The idea is just reduce downtime if I lost any internet provider.

If you’ve got your SDK application (tunneler or otherwise) talking to routers on the other side of the ISPs then if your connection goes over an ISP that goes down, the connection will go down as well. The SDK should automatically re-establish the connection to the routers over the other ISP, but your service connection will broken and will need to be re-established. What effect that has depends on the application.

If you put one or more routers in front of the ISPs they could theoretically create multiple links, one per ISP. Then if a link went down, your connection should just be re-routed over the link. Configuring the links isn’t really possible right now, on the dialing side. However, it is being worked on currently. So in a near-term future release you should be able to configure multiple link dialers, one for each network interface you want to use.

Note that you can already specify a bind address for link listeners, the missing piece is just on the dialing side of links. Generally routers that are in private networks will be configured with only link dialers, where routers in the public cloud will have both dialers and listeners. This is because private cloud routers can usually dial out, but cannot be reached from the outside the private cloud.

Hope that helps.
Paul

3 Likes

It does!
Thanks so much Paul! This is a great explanation about Ziti capabilities.

That’d be incredible useful then in a near future even for IoT critical devices.

Great explanation… and even better solution that it’s being built.

Thanks once again!