Quickstart Authentication Req Failed - Local No Docker

Hello, so i was following this tutorial for a quickstart local no docker OpenZiti "Everything Local (No Docker)" Quickstart Overview - YouTube, but i always ended up with the same problem, which is “the authentication request failed” when i entered my username + password on the ZAC landing page. Is there a solution or an explanation? I’m doing this in Kali Linux via a virtual machine on mac, thank you

Hi @IJBOL, welcome to the community and to OpenZiti!

Are you able to login using the ziti CLI? After running the quickstart, there’s a .env file, usually located at $HOME/.ziti/quickstart/$(hostanme)/$(hostname).env. If you look in that file for ZITI_USER and ZITI_PWD, that should be the username and passwsord you would use.

Let’s first confirm you can loging with the ziti CLI then we can take a look at the ZAC, sound good?

Thank you for the reply, but i still got an error after that. But it’s okay because i decided to use Ubuntu instead of Kali Linux and it works perfectly fine just like in the video!

Very glad to hear you got it sorted. Not sure why Kali is causing trouble, but I’m interested in knowing why. I’ll poke around myself, but maybe another community member got Kali to work. I filed Kali linux doesn't seem to work with quickstart · Issue #1186 · openziti/ziti · GitHub to track checking out Kali with the quickstart

Okay i have some follow up questions. When i restarted the VM and tried to access ZAC again, it wouldnt connect to the localhost and i also couldnt use the startRouter startController etc commands. I tried to source the env file but it still did not works. I’ve checked posts regarding this problem but im still having trouble with it… Also there is this error message that i got when i accessed the ZAC (before i restarted the vm), is it supposed to do that or…?

Because you should be able to run it without having to use the expressInstall everytime right? but whenever i restart the vm or the terminal it just doesnt work anymore…

Thank you in advance (and sorry if my questions sounds dumb lol)!!

These are functions you get when sourcing ziti-cli-functions. We really need to make this more clear as it's a common stumbling block.

Those ZAC errors are annoying but not important. It's related to the session of your browser. You'll see those. @jeremy.tellier it's probably worth tracking those down?

Most definitely! :smile: I think I addressed the "didn't work" comment above. Hope that helps

1 Like

Okay thank you for the advice, it works perfectly fine now :smiley:

Hi @IJBOL, welcome to the community. I’m glad you got it working on Ubuntu. I’d also like to investigate the Kali issue. If you don’t mind, I’d like to know more about your Kali setup.

What Mac (Intel/M1/M2) and OS are you running?
What VM software?
What version of Kali Linux (is it a bare metal OS or a prebuilt VM OS)?

Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

Hello, i use Mac M1 with macOS Monterey. I used UTM for the VM software, and my kali linux is on version 2022.1 and it is a prebuilt VM OS.

Great, thanks for the info. I’ll try getting the same setup going and see if I can reproduce your initial issues.

@IJBOL I tried reproducing your issue on a few variations of Kali Linux (Rasberry Pi, UTM emulated, UTM Virtualized) with no luck.

Would you be willing to try running the quickstart on Kali Linux again so I can work with you directly and we can look into this further? If not, that’s okay, and we’ll call it a fluke for now. Many things can affect setting up a Ziti network, so without specifically seeing the problem and troubleshooting on the spot, we can only hope to reproduce it, which, unfortunately, I was unable to do.