zitiLogin not working

I am trying to login to the controller through the CLI but when I run zitiLogin it is saying command not found.
Here is a screenshot of the error:

Do you know why I am getting this error?

Looks to me like the helper .env file didnā€™t get loaded in when you execā€™ed into that container for some reason.

Do you have a ziti.env in that /persistent folder? If you try running:

env | grep ZITI_USER

do you see a value returned? (usually itā€™s ā€˜adminā€™) and same for the ZITI_PWD (the password)?

Yup thats the error theres no env file in the persistent folder. Do you have any suggestions on how I can fix this error?

hrmmmm. if thereā€™s no ziti.env file in /persistent, itā€™ll be pretty hard to figure out what happened. That sounds to me like it didnā€™t successfully startup or somehow the /persistent folder wasnā€™t mapped properly?

It looks like youā€™re using the ā€œdocker no composeā€ quickstart, is that right? Did you run the command exactly as shown? Iā€™ll try it locally, assuming thatā€™s what youā€™re doing?

Yes I ran the command exactly from the docs. Could I try just redoing the quickstart?

Yes. My guess is that you might have skipped over this particular line:

echo "#ziti.env file" > ~/docker-volume/myFirstZitiNetwork/ziti.env

In order to map that file, you need to make it first and Iā€™m guessing/expecting you didnā€™t do that? Maybe? Let me run it locally first and Iā€™ll report back :slight_smile:

I have the file in the myFirstZitiNetwork directory. Its just not in the persistent directory.

Iā€™m getting some ā€˜permission deniedā€™ errors on my local attempt. Give me a bit to diagnose/test more and Iā€™ll follow up in a bit. Our doc might need a tweak or two. Will report back after Iā€™ve tried it out and gotten things working.

@TheLumberjack There is some more detail here that might be helpful, @Rocket has been having this issue for a while, I was not able to reproduce but it could be similar to the issue you're having with permissions.

Okay thank you. I am trying to install the controller on a new controller using the same method and when I ran the docker run command to start the controller I got these permission denied errors:

@TheLumberjack are these the same errors you are getting, and do you think this is why I donā€™t have a env file in my persistent directory?

Yeah. We recently changed the container and itā€™s causing issues for ā€œnon-composeā€ use-cases like this. Iā€™m working on updated instructions.

Hiya @Rocket,

Iā€™ve gotten the ā€œdocker no composeā€ quickstart back in shape. Thanks for pointing this problem out, and Iā€™m sorry you had to hit it for us to find it! :frowning:

Iā€™ve changed how the persistent files are allocated to more closely align with the docker compose example and to avoid the permission denied issue. Now a named docker volume is used instead of a bind mount. The documentation is now fully up to date and deployed. Turns out there was also a different bug in our script that I needed to fix too, which I have done.

I would recommend you start over clean. To do that, remove the entire folder located at ~/docker-volume.

After that, you just need to follow the local with docker quickstart and it should work smoothly!

Again, sorry, but thanks for pointing the issue out

Ok thank you so much @TheLumberjack. I will try it out now and let you know how it goes.

Oh I forgot to mention, make sure you docker pull the latest 0.29 image! In case thatā€™s not clear. Youā€™ll need to pull down the latest image (of course) :slight_smile:

Oh ok. Will the quickstart not be possible without the latest image? Will it be possible to just test with an older image?

Until the 1.0 release, documentation references/expects youā€™re running the ā€œlatestā€ release. Still, you should be able to use older images, but our corresponding quickstart doc for example, runs the risk of being out of date.

If youā€™re using a 0.29.x version, you really do need pull that latest image because we have found bugs that were introduced around the 0.28.4 timeframe which were corrected in the very latest 0.29.x image.

If you are trying to use an older version of ziti, Iā€™d first ask ā€œwhyā€ :slight_smile:. We really do recommend staying up to date to get all the bug fixes we address. The docker (no compose) quickstart should work fine with any version, but I can only tell you that I tested it with the latest and any bugs that are to be fixed will only be fixed in the next/latest image/release.

Hopefully, that makes sense.

Hi @TheLumberjack, unfortunately I do not have permissions to download the latest version as of right now, but we are working on that aspect. As for the new quickstart, I am testing it and for some reason the edge router is not coming online when I run the docker run command. This is the response I am getting:

When I run docker ps I am only seeing the controller online. Also when I exec into the controller the command zitiLogin still doesnā€™t work. It says "bash: ziti: command not found. I am able to see the persistent directory in the docker container with the ziti.env file. Is there another command I need to run to be able to run ziti commands?

nevermind I just figured it out I had to source the ziti.env file. I am still having an error with the edge router starting

Great! Does that mean youā€™re all set and things are working? If you give me the exact version youā€™re running I could test it on my end and make sure it works too? If you want to do that, just let me know. Hopefully youā€™re all set now.

LOL i didnā€™t see youā€™re HAVING an error, i read that the opposite. Ooops. Send me the exact version youā€™re using and iā€™ll try it out on my side.

I am using version 0.27.9.