Tar may not be available

There’s a nice note in the prerequisites section of the Host Open Ziti anywhere docs. In addition to jq and curl, it might be a good idea to add tar. Missing tar on minimal installations of Rocky stumped me for a bit.

Oh! Nice catch. I’ll put a pr up to verify tar exists as well as one for the doc. thanks @carljmosca

It doesn’t really matter, but what rockylinux did you run? I tried it via docker with:

docker run --rm -it rockylinux/rockylinux:8 bash

and tar was already there so the quickstart succeeded for me. I’ll still add it to the docs and quickstart, I just wanted to verify it’s fixed after I update.

Rocky 9 on Linode which I assume is the minimal install but they may have their own flavor of the distro. I have to admit, it took me two runs to get the fact that tar was missing…LOL. Thank you.

doc pr: add tar to prereq section by dovholuknf · Pull Request #482 · openziti/ziti-doc · GitHub
quickstart pr: add tar to required command list by dovholuknf · Pull Request #1089 · openziti/ziti · GitHub

They’ll get merged “soon”. thanks again. I’ll try with minimal which I recall you indicating before. My bad! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you @TheLumberjack