Ziti "basics" question

An email landed in a NetFoundry employee's inbox in Portuguese asking for OpenZiti help. Roughly translated it said:

I would like to know if you would have a time to demonstrate the process of creating tunnels or alternatively creating a tunnel with me. I tried following the OpenZiti tutorials and managed to create a server and a ZitiNetwork, however the documentation for creating keys and identity profiles is outdated and so I couldn't progress from there.

I am posting this question as a new topic to encourage this user to sign up for discourse and interact here

First of all - whomever you are - welcome to OpenZiti!!! :slight_smile:

Next I would want to know what sort of problem you are trying to solve. It’s always best to keep it simple and start small. Are you trying to vnc/rdp/ssh from your local computer to a remote computer? Maybe you’re trying to access some content via your browser? Knowing exactly what kind of solution you’re trying to learn/play with helps tremendously.

I’d also like to know which documentation was out of date. If there’s some bad/misleading doc I’d like to clean that up!

At its most basic, you will want to:

• create an overlay network with a quickstart
  • you will want to create two identities. We’ll keep it very simple and call one “client” and one “server”.
  • we’ll also keep things very simple and just use ziti-egde-tunnel for both client and server. Get those from here
  • use ziti-edge-tunnel to “enroll” both client and server identities: ./ziti-edge-tunnel enroll --jwt server.jwt --identity server.json
  • start the client and server tunnelers:
    • sudo ./ziti-edge-tunnel run -i server.json
    • sudo ./ziti-edge-tunnel run -i client.json
  • create a service - maybe using the ZAC or CLI. (this is where the specifics would help) You can scan this discourse for other posts - there’s been a bunch of posts lately to read! :slight_smile:
  • access the service

You can watch me demo a lot of these over on the youtube channel

Let me know if you need any more help