IPV6 Connection lost on Android when using ZITI Mobile Edge on Android

Hi all,

when I activate the tunnel in the Ziti Mobile Edge App for Android, it seems that my IPV6 connection is completely lost. Is that expected?

Thanks in advance!

Hmmm. I don’t have as much experience with the ZME for Android as @ekoby does. When you say it’s completely lost, do you mean you are no longer able to access IPv6 resources or that your phone is no longer able to be contacted by other devices (as though your phone is working as a server), or something else?

What symptom did you notice to make you wonder what your IPv6 IP was? Are you losing functionality somehow?

Hi @TheLumberjack ,
I just had my connection tested with: https://test-ipv6.com/

This is not the case for my Windows machine though…

Are you trying to access that service over Ziti? ZME only supports IPv4 at the moment

But it supposed to go direct – that should work

Thanks for your reply!
No, this service is outside of my network. It is a simple test for ipv6 connections. When the tunneler is activated, it really seems that ipv6 connection is completely lost.
Might this be a problem with my controller setup? This problem only occurs on my Android. Windows is working fine.

Im using a Samsung Galaxy S22 with Android 13.

@ekoby
I have tested with an iPad and could not reproduce the problem. It seems Android is the only platform with the issue.

I could also test with another Android device (Android 12) and can reproduce the issue. It seems to be a general problem with the Android app.

Thanks for confirming. That’s good to know. Just to confirm, you just go to that url and it reports back to you, right? I ask because I personally disabled ipv6 a while back on my local windows machine and I too get this message on my Windows machine:

BUT this doesn’t mean I can’t access ipv6 sites like this one from google that helpfully tells me: “You don’t have IPv6, but you shouldn’t have problems on websites that add IPv6 support.”

https://ipv6test.google.com/

This website claims to be “ipv6 only” and yet I can get there just fine as I would expect: List of IPv6 Only Websites

Is there some “issue” you’re seeing, some loss of functionality? I’m not sure this is something to ‘fix’ yet, but it’s an interesting observation for sure!

Hi @TheLumberjack ,
thanks for checking back!

Yes, exactly. Im just accessing this site.

The Google check actually appears to be an ipv4 site (at least for me), so I would say this does not count:

Pure ipv6 adresses are not accessible when the tunneler is running and I definitely see this as an issue, since quite a lot of my VMs are V6 only. Again, that is something that only happens with the Android tunneler, so I would even reemphasize the need to get feature parity across platforms.
Here is the result of a ping attempt in Termux on the Android with enabled tunneler:

I hope this helps.

Can you describe your own use case in more detail? I find testing websites not very reliable – because they try to coerce the browser to do IPv6 stuff.

What does your DNS look like?
What specific error do you get in your app (resolution or connection error)?

@ekoby Thanks for your reply.
I have no specific use case on my mobile phone and all access to my dark applications works fine. The problem is more of a global nature. When the tunneler application is running, all ipv6 connections from the device break. I have tested this with these ipv6 test sites in a few browsers and also in the termux app. This is the case when the device is connected to my Wifi and also when connected via mobile internet.

I have also tried telnet in the Termux app. At first with the tunneler disabled, then enabled:

Thanks for your assistance!

thank you for your bug report.

the fix is on its way: fix IPv6 bypass by ekoby ¡ Pull Request #165 ¡ openziti/ziti-tunnel-android ¡ GitHub

if you’re willing to join Beta testing of ZME you can do it here: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.openziti.mobile

Thank you so much @ekoby !
The beta version is working fine!

2 Likes