SSH over ziti tunnel hangs often

Possibly related: we’re in the process of pushing a new release of the ZDE for Mac to the App Store, which will bring it up to the current versions of the underlying Ziti SDKs. I don’t know if this will address the issues you’re seeing, but it’s possibl. I’ll post back here when it becomes available in the store.

v2.27 should now be available in the App Store. Can you give it a try and see if you can reproduce with this version? ‎Ziti Desktop Edge na Mac App Store

Should we also upgrade the other parts of the system (edge router etc)? I mean, normally I would, but I figured I’d check first, because troubleshooting and changing only one thing at once.

You shouldn’t need to - the SDK updates should be compatible

It’s only been a day of regular use, but generally speaking I’d say the frequency of flat hang while I’m using it has gone down (I don’t think it has at all?), the frequency of “jumpy where I have to send CRs to get it to transmit text in 100s of bytes chunks” has gone up noticeably, and the instances of “long standing” (couple of hours, it’s only a day so far!) connections disconnecting (note: not hanging) has gone up noticeably.

Edit: I’m now on a brand new m2 device, not the older x86_64 device.

Thanks for trying it out and providing the feedback. It sounds like you’re now experiencing straight up disconnects much more than before? That’s a major bummer. Could you send over a set of logs to look at?

Thanks again

To be fair, I haven’t experienced a “straight up disconnect” directly, but I have come back to my computer after a couple hours away to see the 3 sessions gone. Yup, will send logs. I’d say “I’ll give it a few more days” but I don’t have an option to roll back, because mac app store!

Ya know what, NEVERMIND on those “got back to my machine” disconnects. You know how I said “new machine”? Well, the new one is SO FAST and SNAPPY compared to the old one that I let it sleep (after :30?). So that’s why those all dropped. Other stuff still applies.

If you sleep for 30 minutes, you’ll get disconnected for sure. The default time before cleaning up seasons is 30m. So that seems to make sense.

If you could capture the jumpy situation that would be interesting too. I’m not sure I entirely understand what you’re seeing. Are you saying that the terminal appears frozen until you send some data or specifically a line feed?

Yes. Text/cursor will stop middle of the line / screen until I send some data (typically hitting enter).

I'll see what I can do about screencapping that.

I can see in your logs numerous sleep/wake cycles often for only 5, 10, 15 minutes. I wouldn’t expect those to force your session to be cleaned up. Does that map with your recollection of when hangs/jumpiness happen? Does your machine sleep/wake “somewhat frequently” like that? If so, and if you’re willing, perhaps experimenting with the power saving options on mac might “fix” the problem? If so, that would give us a very clear area of investigation to look at to find the real root cause.

Example, in one hour you had three sleep/wake cycles:

[2023-02-15T11:34:12:384Z]    INFO PacketTunnelProvider:PacketTunnelProvider.swift:261 sleep() ---Sleep---
[2023-02-15T11:49:19:129Z]    INFO PacketTunnelProvider:PacketTunnelProvider.swift:276 wake() ---Wake---
[2023-02-15T11:50:45:681Z]    INFO PacketTunnelProvider:PacketTunnelProvider.swift:261 sleep() ---Sleep---
[2023-02-15T12:05:38:462Z]    INFO PacketTunnelProvider:PacketTunnelProvider.swift:276 wake() ---Wake---
[2023-02-15T12:06:52:725Z]    INFO PacketTunnelProvider:PacketTunnelProvider.swift:261 sleep() ---Sleep---
[2023-02-15T12:22:12:161Z]    INFO PacketTunnelProvider:PacketTunnelProvider.swift:276 wake() ---Wake---

and for two of those three cycles I see this error that I thought was “unexpected” at best… :

error during endpoint state posture response submission: 0 - no api session token set for ziti_controller

@woodwardjd - we’ve been doing some work relating to battery usage on iOS that might be triggering for you, depending on your configuration (though it shouldn’t). Please run the following commands, and let us know what you see for (io.netfoundry.ZitiPacketTunnel) "Ziti Desktop Edge". In particular, the value for lowPowerMode (which should be either “FALSE” or not present).

First, run

scutil --nc list

and find the ID of (io.netfoundry.ZitiPacketTunnel) "Ziti Desktop Edge". It will be the block of numbers and letters following “(Connected)” (or “(Diconnected)”), and then run:

scutil --nc show <<the id you found running `scutil --nc --list`>>

You should see something like:

io.netfoundry.ZitiPacketTunnel <dictionary> {
  dns : 100.64.0.2
  enableMfa : TRUE
  fallbackDns : 1.1.1.1
  fallbackDnsEnabled : FALSE
  interceptMatchedDns : FALSE
  ip : 100.64.0.1
  logLevel : 3
  logRotateCount : 2
  logRotateDaily : TRUE