Tips to integrate Ziti with a self hosted Git repo

Checking if anyone has any ideas.

I am working through the steps to build a self hosted git repo… and thought… how to push up the changes over a ziti network.

I imagine you would need to an addressable identifier… like what you do with the zssh and zscp examples.

Does this make sense… has anyone done this before? what key things do I need to keep in mind.

No, nobody has done it yet.

To start with, I would simply host your own repository and put a ziti-edge-tunnel/ziti-router on the same machine as the git server and get “ztha” (zero trust host access) established. Then I would use tunneling apps on the client and make sure everything works. I expect this is where most people will be quite happy for a long time.

If you want to press further, like zssh, you can look to make your own git client and add an openziti sdk into that client. That would allow you to get rid of the tunneler on the client machines. You don’t need to use an addressable terminator, you could just keep it configuration based similar to what was done with the kubeztl stuff. It also fits with the whole “git config” mechanism already in place. Maybe add a “git config --service-name git.ziti” type of flag that is stored in the .gitconfig. (same would be needed for the location of the identity to use too)

Once you do that you could perhaps consider adding ziti to the git server and get rid of the ziti-edge-tunnel/ziti-router on the server side.

That’s the gist of what you want to do

1 Like

Cool… thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I am starting to now focus more on the DevOps… which is stretching me a bit more now.

I can see how this can work… and will give it a go :slight_smile: