Upgrading ziti using the command line

I was really interested to play around with the new ziti version.. and thought to upgrade.

I came across this command line

ziti upgrade ziti

When I run it, it returned the following error

panic: ERROR: the JFROG_API_KEY env variable has not been set

I don't really have much idea what JFROG is or where to go to find the API key

Any tips?

That command hasn’t been kept up-to-date. Not sure if it’ll be there for a while or get removed.

Right now, you can get the latest ziti by running the getZiti function from the ziti-cli-functions.sh. make sure you unset ZITI_BIN_DIR if it’s set:

unset ZITI_BIN_DIR
source /dev/stdin <<< "$(wget -qO- https://raw.githubusercontent.com/openziti/ziti/release-next/quickstart/docker/image/ziti-cli-functions.sh)"; getZiti
1 Like

Cool… I was watching the latest ZitiTV and through to upgrade and check a few things out.

PS.. is this also the best way to deploy Ziti to another compute that does not have a compute? I imagine that this will allow you to enroll users and run tunnellers as needed.

You mention "tunnellers as needed". i can't tell if you're asking about getting ziti-router on another machine or ziti-edge-tunnel etc. in general I'd say getZiti is best to obtain the latest version of the distribution bundle for the overlay. Obtaining the proper tunnellers is not related to getZiti. You'd get those separately.

Realistically you should obtain the same version of the components as the controller for best results. If it was me, I'd use getZiti once then probably come up with some other scheme to pull the proper binary. It's another item that we'll get around to making a better experience for in the future.

1 Like

Thanks… as I work through improving my demos… I want to check that I am using the latest versions

So… what I am taking away is…

1. use getZiti to upgrade the controller
  2. install tunneller apps individually on each machine
  3. upgrade the tunneller manually or with a purpose built script