Zrok share endpoint 404 not found

So I've just recently started experimenting with zrok. And I have a service running on localhost.

I generate an endpoint using zrok share localhost:2000 and access this endpoint.

However, every now and then, (eg. say a day later), the endpoint throws a 404 (not found).

A few mins after I hit the endpoint, it starts working again.

I have the service running on a mac. Any thoughts on how to ensure the endpoint doesn't randomly stop working?

Hi @shiv, welcome to the community and to zrok (and OpenZiti)!

404's are hard to know what goes wrong and where. Is it the 'zrok' 404 you see? (looks like this)

If it is - that's interesting. I know from Getting 403 Forbidden in every route with zrok share public · Issue #712 · openziti/zrok · GitHub that:

There is an IP-based rate limiter on the public shares through zrok.io to prevent various forms of DDOS against the cloud service. If your app is exceeding about 7 requests per second for more than 5 minutes then you're likely being throttled.

but you're reporting a 404 not a 403 so I don't konw if that's related.

Can you confirm if it's the zrok 404 you're seeing or another?

Hi @TheLumberjack Yep that's the 404 that I see.

I'm pretty certain isn't not traffic to the endpoint (if it were, I'm presuming it would be captured in the zrok activity chart).

Here's my traffic chart.

This can be caused by the zrok backend becoming disconnected due to an internet service provider interruption.

@qrkourier Is that on the zrok end or my end?

Here's my internet service traffic for the past 24 hours. I don't think it's my internet.

And it's too much of a coincidence to be internet as my other services are connected to the internet.

And furthemore, this zrok issue is very easily replicable.

Since we can not see the public frontend logs, let's first gather clues from your share backend.

zrok public share localhost:2000 --headless --verbose

It may be a challenge to capture, but the most interesting log messages would be those that correspond with the not-found (404) event. If the backend is throwing errors at that moment it will be valuable to see those messages.

Thank you! I've restarted the shares with: zrok share public localhost:2000 --headless --verbose

I will share the 404 logs if the error appears again.

1 Like