Balancing the trade-offs when designing a network

Hey.. I was reading through a few awesome posts.. ie. great questions.. and great answers... and then started to realise two opposing demands.

#1.. its the coder in me.. I love writing custom apps.. so if you can write an app to solve your problem.. that is my preference...

However

#2.. why write an app if all you need to do is to make a network tweak along with some script to automate the network configuration.

But then.. which is the real question

#3.. what are the new possibilities that people are holding back on implementing purely because they don't believe its possible.. along with.. what mix of capabilities (i.e. AppDev / Network config) is best suited to this

To emphasis the third point, I have noticed that "anything is possible" has been mentioned a few times.. though I am not exactly sure what this specifically means.

what constraints are now no longer constraints
what new designs can be achieved that was previously impossible
what does this mean for the future of the internet

One of the reasons I thought of asking is to understand where the edge is.. of what is possible / impossible... and if there is no impossible.. how far can you really go.. ie.. what could be one of the wildest network designs you can imagine that would make people go.. wow..

ie. what is the barrel roll.. if you have not seen this video.. its really cool

#1… its the coder in me… I love writing custom apps… so if you can write an app to solve your problem… that is my preference…

From a security perspective as well as from "the user perspective" it's probably the best approach. When zero trust it built into the app, not bolted on, users probably don't even know it. That's the best kind of user experience. ZDBC is the perfect example here (or zssh). Both of those zitifications do NOT need you to turn on your local tunneling app. They 'just work'. Go to stabucks? Just work. No VPN to toggle on/off, just 'use it'. So app embedded is "the way to go"

#2… why write an app if all you need to do is to make a network tweak along with some script to automate the network configuration.

Security and control and user experience are good reasons. But you don't always have the source to tweak. You don't always have the time and buying some COTS is faster... That's where tunnellers come in...

what constraints are now no longer constraints

Nobody is ever 'on the LAN' now. The internet is your LAN with OpenZiti. To me that's mindblowing. No open firewalls on your OS - EVER. mindblowing...

what new designs can be achieved that was previously impossible

Can you ssh to my machine right now without OpenZiti? You sure can WITH OpenZiti. Whereever you are in the world. Mindblowing... Think about how many apps have to solve this exact problem over and over again. Plex let's you watch movies when you're away from home - you can do that with OpenZiti. Want to monitor your network from anywhere - you can do that with OpenZiti. Anytime you wanted to be able to contact any other server - you can solve that with OpenZiti.

what does this mean for the future of the internet

For me, I'm fond of saying (and I said above already) with OpenZiti - the internet is your LAN. Like - you just use it and if you are authorized to connect you can ! Mind blowing...

Well - it is to me anyway. The real question - how are YOU going to use OpenZiti to innovate?!?!? Tell me!!! :slight_smile:

Great insights.. thanks.. I like the analogy of "OpenZiti is your LAN".

so.. what am I thinking about these days.. on how best to use it.

Anything less than "changing how people use the internet" would be like eating raw burger.

On a more serious note.. the main market is financial services and business infrastructure.

One of the user experiences that I believe can be greatly improved upon is "no more darn password".. because you have already established a very strong identity..

This then leads to.. making.. federated network a commodity that will be consumed en mass.

Don't know how far I will get.. as I still need to get my first demo working.. though.. it does get me out of bed in the morning.. hoping that one day.. I can make a contribution towards this.

"We're here to put a dent in the universe.” Steve Jobs